[Aerogear-users] AeroGear Crypto API on iOS with AES-GCM

abstractj bruno at abstractj.org
Fri Jun 19 06:54:07 EDT 2015

Good morning Niko, I hope you're doing well. Please, notice that GCM mode
support is not a limitation of AG iOS, but a restriction from Apple.

If the document on
https://github.com/edewit/aerogear-crypto-cordova/blob/master/README.md
states that GCM is support, it pretty much relates to Android. If the
senteces are not clear enough, feel free to file a Jira
https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AGCORDOVA.

Answering your questions:

- Is GCM mode for AES encryption supported on iOS aerogear crypto module
(and the cordova plugin) ?

No. But, we are open for suggestions. In the future we plan to make
aerogear-ios-crypto pluggable. Into this way you're free to go with
CommonCrypto or whatever provider you want.

- If not, how difficult would it be to use the private API in iOS
CommonCrypto ? I didnt try it myself, i have just been reading the code....

I'd say, would take time and the only way I see today is plugging OpenSSL.
The reason why NaCl was choosen, was not only the fact of CommonCrypto not
supporting GCM, but also, because it's safer[1].

If you feel like, that should be reconsidered. Feel free to create a feature
request against https://issues.jboss.org/browse/agios. I hope it helps.

[1] - https://cryptojedi.org/papers/aesbs-20090616.pdf