[Aerogear-users] SSL Issues

Summers Pittman supittma at redhat.com
Tue Aug 16 11:36:49 EDT 2016

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 11:23 AM, Christopher Fahey <chris at dealerrewards.net
> wrote:

> I am still not getting past this issue.  I am using Cordova.  Can someone
> explain to me the relationship between how the SSL connection in the
> AeroGear plugin and the Cordova application connection are related?  I am
> starting to get the impression that they are not the same.   I have a
> plugin that replaces the SystemWebViewClient with an object that overrides
> the "onReceivedSslError" function so that when a self signed SSL
> certificate is encountered it can be told to allow it however this function
> is never being called.
>
> Can someone please shed some light on this?  It sounds like others have
> done it but isn't anyone willing to share the secret on how it is
> accomplished?

Sure, I'll give it a shot.

Cordova provides an API for exposing native platform APIs to the javascript
runtime in a web view.  These APIs are called plugins.

So on Android You call the cordova code which calls a Cordova plugin which
calls native Android code.  Android native code does NOT like self signed
SSL certificates.  To use a self signed certificate you need to import that
certificate into your emulator or use certificate pinning found in Android
N.  Alternatively, don't use a self signed certificate.  There are several
free services you can use to to walk you through setting up a service with
a properly signed certificate.