[Aerogear-users] Testing push in Cordova

Rob Willett rob.aerogear at robertwillett.com
Fri Jan 22 06:59:37 EST 2016

Just to throw my 2c in here.

We test push notifications on the Genymotion emulator. Out of the box
Genymotion does NOT support notifications but its pretty easy to get
notifications working on Genymotion.

We used this page

http://inthecheesefactory.com/blog/how-to-install-google-services-on-genymotion/en

to get it working. This works with all the commercial push providers we
have checked out.

We have not found a way to get Android 6 working with push on Genymotion
but since Android 6 is still preview on Genymotion its not an issue for
us.

However we haven’t found that deploying to a real device (Nexus 5) to
be much slower than Genymotion. We’re happy to deploy to any as its
pretty speedy either way.

Unclear as to why deploying to a real device is such a problem, we
develop on iPhone and Android using Cordova and even though I like the
iPhone, the development and debugging tools on a real Android device are
excellent and fast. When we have a real problem, we tend to ignore Xcode
and Safari and the iPhone and debug it on a real Android device. We
don’t have any real issues, though we always want things to be
quicker.

Rob