[Aerogear-users] Testing push in Cordova

Rob Willett rob.aerogear at robertwillett.com
Fri Jan 22 07:22:57 EST 2016

Anton,

Its difficult to do some things without a phone, you can certainly
develop on Cordova and get a long way on screens designs, controllers,
services, posting to and getting stuff from servers but somethings need
a hardware device.

Off the top of my head things that don’t work properly on
iPhone/Android simulators or at all.

1. Background processing. JavaScript timers continue to work in the
background but do not on a real phone. Sounds innocuous but its a
massive hassle for us.
2. GPS is very limited on the iPhone emulator. You can set simple GPS
routes up and thats it. The genymotion has a GPS on off switch to save a
position, useful for very, very limited uses.
3. No notifications on the iPhone emulator. Zilch. You can get them on
the Genymotion with the link I posted.
4. No In-App purchasing on the iPhone. No access to the sandbox, its a
nightmare even on a real phone. No idea on Android as we have up on the
iPhone.
5. Some weird effects of different versions of IOS and background
processing with geolocation and posting to servers with ATS. We can’t
work it out at all, so we use real phones.

You can get so far without a phone but at the end of the day you will
need one to develop and test. There is no getting away from it. Ups
cannot develop and simply deploy and hope it all works. Emulators will
work, but not with any success for at least the things I’ve quoted
above.

Rob