[Aerogear-users] Instructions for deploying on OpenShift origin

Summers Pittman supittma at redhat.com
Wed Apr 12 07:19:18 EDT 2017

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 3:26 PM, Anton <kurrent93 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Summers
>
> I'm having problems with unifiedpush-server.
>
> The logs are viewable at https://pastebin.co't work for because I didn't
> have the image already pulled. I think it's pulling it from
> openshift/mysql:5.7, becam/pFKSXsQ5 <https://pastebin.com/pFKSXsQ5>
>
> Of particular interest is  Unable to get managed connection for
> java:jboss/datasources/KeycloakDS

So something that might be going on in your logs is that Wildfly deploys
UPS before the databases wake up and there are errors.  In theory the pod
should be destroyed and recreated.  Additionally, you may not have the
service "keycloak" pointing to a mysql database, it may be your keycloak
service that you mention below.

> Now, I already have keycloak running in my cluster, so I would have
> expected that it could already connect to Keycloak, but the error suggests
> that unifiedpush-server is not trying to connect to Keycloak, but to the
> Keycloak database! If this is correct, this sounds like a very poor
> architecture. Keycloak has a very good API.
> Why would unifiedpush-server connect to the keycloak database, instead of
> using the keycloak API

So way back in the dark ages of 2013/2014 Keycloak had this idea that it
could be embedded in applications.  During this time UPS was written and we
embedded Keycloak.  So the UPS deployment includes its own version of
Keycloak and this needs its own datasource for its own keycloak.

Of course this is not ideal and we are planning on separating the two.