[Apiman-dev] Merge Karaf branch to Master

Marc Savy marc.savy at redhat.com
Tue Mar 8 07:01:42 EST 2016

That seems OK. Given the amount of time that's passed between starting
the branch and the current master, there might be quite a few merge
conflicts.

I'd suggest trying two things. For each of these I would always use a
new branch in case it goes wrong:

1) Rebase

git checkout karaf && git checkout -b karaf-rebase
git rebase -i HEAD~50

Squash/fixup your commits into manageable/logical blocks (e.g. features;
stuff you might want to revert atomically; etc). See:

https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Git-Tools-Rewriting-History#Squashing-Commits

After this is completed, *then* try to rebase onto master (git fetch &&
git rebase remotes/origin/master)

Having fewer commits will make this substantially less work. You may
want to use git rerere:

https://git-scm.com/docs/git-rerere

2) Merge

This might produce something that's a bit messy in terms of history, but
could work. It will squash everything into a single commit, which might
not be as granular as you want.

git fetch && git checkout remotes/origin/master
git merge karaf --squash

Option (1) is probably preferred, but if not possible (2).

FWIW there are a bunch of different patterns you can use. Just two of
them here.