[Apiman-user] Keycloak OAuth2 policy: Get bearer token for logged in user without using username/password

Ton Swieb ton at finalist.nl
Wed Dec 9 11:02:05 EST 2015

Hi Marc,

I got it working, without the SAML IdP, using the Keycloak Javascript
adapter.

I used the Keycloak JS-Console example and extended it with a javascript
function that does a call the apiman-gateway after I have a logged in
session with Keycloak.  Something like:
        var client = new XMLHttpRequest();
        client.open("GET", url, false);
        client.setRequestHeader("Accept", "application/json");
        client.setRequestHeader("Authorization", "Bearer " +
keycloak.token);
        client.send();

The keycloak.token is available after a call to keycloak.login(). Both are
part of the Keycloak javascript adapter.

Underneath the Javascript adapter still does a call similair to
http://127.0.0.1:8080/auth/realms/stottie/protocol/openid-connect/token to
retrieve the access token. With the difference that the grant_type used is
authorization_code instead of password and a code is supplied instead of a
username/password combination. I assume the code is retrieved from the
keycloak session. Not sure how it exactly works, but it works.

Next step will be to test it with the SAML IdP instead of standalone
Keycloak, but I do not expect it to behave any differently.

Regards,

Ton