[Apiman-user] Client secret key and/or APIMAN-282

Scott Dunbar scott at xigole.com
Mon Apr 25 17:31:25 EDT 2016

Hello,
I'm evaluating apiman for a use case and am trying to get my head around a
requirement that I have and how that fits in with apiman.

I have normal username/password users that I can use the Keycloak OAuth
token system for and that works fine.  I'm interested in using some sort of
api key for server to server communication.  Ultimately a customer wants to
encode a single key and not get an OAuth token that expires.  If I
understand the way that the client API's work I believe that I can
implement this through there but I want to make sure I'm understanding
correctly.

I think that I would implement two plans.  The "public" plan would include
the policies that I want (Oauth and role based authorization) and use
Oauth.  Then I would create a client API for the server-to-server
communication and that would use a different plan that, assuming that the
api key was correct, would not have any other policies.  Obviously that
means that the key is very private.

Am I thinking of this the right way?  The advantage of the client API path
is that I could shut down a "server" (i.e. the server of a customer
interacting with our server) in one shot by unregistering the client.  The
APIMAN-282 method would work too in that I could create a single user for
the customer and lock that account if I wanted to block access.  Of course,
the APIMAN-282 enhancement is still in progress and I'm not sure it will
see the light of day.

So the short question is is the two pronged approach the way to go without
an APIMAN-282 type of policy?

Thanks for your help.

--
Scott Dunbar