[Apiman-user] Integration with separate Keycloak server?

Guy Davis guydavis.ca at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 10:32:13 EST 2016

Hi Marc,

Yes!  Thanks for the workaround.  After your report, I went back and
imported the default 'apiman
<https://raw.githubusercontent.com/apiman/apiman/master/distro/data/src/main/resources/data/apiman-realm.json>'
realm into my Keycloak 1.7 server.  In this case, I was able to login to
/apimanui with no 403 error. Since my production deployment will involve
multiple apps, I had setup APIMan to be secured in our single realm, all
under a single KC Client named 'apiman' with client roles of 'apiuser,
apipublisher, and apiadmin'.  After much trial and error I discovered the
difference in my multi-app setup and the APIMan example realm was the level
of the roles.  In particular, if the apiman roles are declared on the
apiman client itself, then role mapping them to users won't allow login.
However, if the apiman roles are realm-wide roles, then a role mapping
seems to work and users can login.

It's unfortunate that a single application like APIMan should require it's
own realm-wide roles for security, not KC-client level roles.  None of the
other apps that I have secured with Keycloak seem to require more than
KC-client level roles.  So I consider this a defect in Keycloak, likely due
to the use of the old Keycloak adapter in the APIMan 1.1.9 bundle.  I look
forward to an upcoming release of APIMan with updated Keycloak integration.

Best regards,
Guy