[Apiman-user] Replacing Keycloak

Eric Wittmann eric.wittmann at redhat.com
Mon Jan 25 16:08:04 EST 2016

OK great - we're on the same page then.  Happy to help (and then reap
the benefits of your work in apiman!).  :)

We need to split the problem up into two.  The first (and probably
harder) problem is supporting PF as an authentication mechanism for
apiman.  The second problem is protecting managed APIs with PF.

#1 Apiman Auth via PF
---------------------
* Can you share your PF sample java app?
* There are three WARs that will need to be protected:
    - apiman.war
    - apiman-gateway-api.war
    - apimanui.war
* !!!!!!  Let's focus first on "apimanui.war", which is a standard java
web application.  !!!!!!!!
* We will need to secure the WAR with PF *and* provide a PF-specific
impl of ISecurityContext.  There are two impls thus far,
DefaultSecurityContext and KeycloakSecurityContext.  If the PF
authentication code puts the auth principal and roles into the servlet
request, then you can use DefaultSecurityContext.  If not, a custom impl
may be required (see the KC impl for more info).

	http://bit.ly/1ZZAmwW

* The security context is configured here:

	http://bit.ly/1KAvu51

* After the user logs into the UI, the UI will then use the oauth bearer
token to make authenticated calls directly from the UI to the API
Manager REST layer.  This bearer token is periodically refreshed by
making a call to the /apimanui/ context to get a new token.  This is
what is called:  ITokenGenerator
* Assuming PF uses bearer tokens, we'll need a PF implementation of the
above interface.  See KeyCloakBearerTokenGenerator for more information.

* Note: the keycloak plugin you are looking at is *not* the code that is
called when logging into apiman.  For that, you'd have to look at the
keycloak adapter code:

	https://github.com/keycloak/keycloak/tree/master/adapters

#2 Protected Managed APIs with PF
* Our OAuth support is a keycloak-specific apiman policy that I think
you've already discovered:

https://github.com/apiman/apiman-plugins/tree/master/keycloak-oauth-policy

* Adding PF authentication support will require a *new* plugin specific
to PF.

OK that's a lot, I know.  Let's start with your PF enabled java app and
try to apply those principals to the API Manager UI.

-Eric