[Apiman-user] LIVE APIMAN deployments and Performance

Marc Savy marc.savy at redhat.com
Sun Jul 3 10:54:16 EDT 2016

Hi Tomas,

Disregarding recent Red Hat announcement on 3scale acquisition and knowing
> that Red Hat will now be working on merging the 3scale and apiman
> technologies, we are still thinking of APIMAN as the main candidate for API
> management (Policy Enforcement) solution.

As Eric mentioned in the blog, we (apiman team) are determined to do the
very best we can for the apiman community - after all it's sizeable now
:-).

Do you know any LIVE deployments of APIMAN with scale larger than 200 TPS
> per node?

I believe so, but I can't reference any of them publicly (although,
community - feel free to weigh in with your numbers!).

Any idea how many APIMAN LIVE deployments are there?

This is something that's notoriously difficult to do, especially as a free
and open source project. We don't have any phone-home functionality, and
there's not any easy way to correlate number of downloads with number of
deploments.

That being said, a good number of folk have reached out to us saying they
are using it and/or prototyping.

Could you point me to some performance benchmarks of APIMAN, are there any?

That's hopefully something I'll be working on, it's also quite a ticky area
to get right (particularly as lots of people do it wrong[1]!).

Community feedback thus far is that they've found performance good and that
the main impact is (as you would expect) is how slow your policies are -
e.g. if your custom policy reaches out to a DB on every request, then it'll
be slow.

Naturally this is an area that's important to us, and we'll be working on
improving it - often by harnessing the strengths of other projects such as
Vert.x.

Regards,
Marc

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ8ydIuPFeU