[Apiman-user] APIMAN MTLS struggles: ssuggestions

Amit Joshi amit.joshi at markit.com
Tue May 17 11:16:15 EDT 2016

Hello,

I have been following the information in the blog post: http://www.apiman.io/blog/gateway/security/mutual-auth/ssl/mtls/1.2.x/2016/01/22/mtls-mutual-auth-redux.html  but has a tough time. I had a simple Java test program that worked against the Api with setting the has a trust store etc. using system properties:

        System.setProperty("javax.net.ssl.trustStore", System.getProperty("truststore.path"));
        System.setProperty("javax.net.ssl.trustStorePassword", System.getProperty("keystore.password"));
        System.setProperty("javax.net.ssl.keyStore", System.getProperty("keystore.path"));
        System.setProperty("javax.net.ssl.keyStorePassword", System.getProperty("keystore.password"));
        System.setProperty("javax.net.ssl.keyStoreType", System.getProperty("keystore.type"));

However, when I try to do the same , but using APIMan (and setting the properties in the apiman.properties file) to gateway the API it fails as below. I tried setting the -Djavax.net.debug.all  (as suggested in the article) which gives a lot more in the logs but all I could see that looked relevant: "Warning: no suitable certificate found - continuing without client authentication" which made no sense since I have the correct cert and it works with the test program.
I finally figured out the issue - the MTLS setup does not allow you to pass in the keyStoreType and my keystore was PKCS12 and not JKS.

Couple of suggestions as a result:

*         Add the ability to set the keyStoreType so we won't have to convert them

*         Also the stacktrace gets truncated in the output (see below) and its very difficult to diagnose what the problem is - something I think would have been minutes if I could have seen the message about not being able to load the keystore took hours.

*         Also I want to be able to automatically use different keystores based on the api or logged-in user or url etc. My thought was to extend the HttpConnectorFactory and override the TlsOptions. However the class has all the properties private with no getters/setters and so it is difficult to do so that. This means I have to pretty much make a copy of the class instead of just a custom extension . Would be good if the class had public or at least protected getters/setters there so I could override the keystore based on some rules..

Results when running against apiman but with a pkcs12 keystore:
Using the Advanced Rest Client app for Chrome. I see the following as a response
500  Internal Server Error
And the response looks as follows. Note that the message is generic "Not connected" and the stack trace is missing any information about why the connection failed.

{
  "responseCode": 500,
  "message": "Not connected.",
  "trace": "io.apiman.gateway.engine.beans.exceptions.ConnectorException: Not connected.\n\tat io.apiman.gateway.platforms.servlet.connectors.HttpApiConnection.write(HttpApiConnection.java:332)\n\tat io.apiman.gateway.engine.impl.ApiRequestExecutorImpl.lambda$null$1(ApiRequestExecutorImpl.java:234)\n\tat io.apiman.gateway.engine.io.AbstractStream.handleBody(AbstractStream.java:107)\n\tat io.apiman.gateway.engine.policy.Chain.write(Chain.java:181)\n\tat io.apiman.gateway.engine.impl.ApiRequestExecutorImpl$1.write(ApiRequestExecutorImpl.java:525)\n\tat io.apiman.gateway.platforms.servlet.GatewayServlet$2.handle(GatewayServlet.java:169)\n\tat io.apiman.gateway.platforms.servlet.GatewayServlet$2.handle(GatewayServlet.java:161)\n\tat io.apiman.gateway.engine.impl.ApiRequestExecutorImpl.handleStream(ApiRequestExecutorImpl.java:517)\n\tat io.apiman.gateway.engine.impl.ApiRequestExecutorImpl.lambda$null$3(ApiRequestExecutorImpl.java:243)\n\tat io.apiman.gateway.engine.policy.Chain.handleHead(Chain.java:211)\n\tat io.apiman.gateway.engine.policy.Chain.doApply(Chain.java:150)\n\tat io.apiman.gateway.engine.impl.ApiRequestExecutorImpl.lambda$execute$4(ApiRequestExecutorImpl.java:246)\n\tat io.apiman.gateway.engine.impl.ApiRequestExecutorImpl.loadPolicies(ApiRequestExecutorImpl.java:419)\n\tat io.apiman.gateway.engine.impl.ApiRequestExecutorImpl.lambda$execute$5(ApiRequestExecutorImpl.java:269)\n\tat io.apiman.gateway.engine.impl.SecureRegistryWrapper$1.handle(SecureRegistryWrapper.java:123)\n\tat io.apiman.gateway.engine.impl.SecureRegistryWrapper$1.handle(SecureRegistryWrapper.java:112)\n\tat io.apiman.gateway.engine.es.CachingESRegistry.getApi(CachingESRegistry.java:115)\n\tat io.apiman.gateway.engine.impl.SecureRegistryWrapper.getApi(SecureRegistryWrapper.java:112)\n\tat io.apiman.gateway.engine.impl.ApiRequestExecutorImpl.execute(ApiRequestExecutorImpl.java:252)\n\tat io.apiman.gateway.platforms.servlet.GatewayServlet.doAction(GatewayServlet.java:179)\n\tat io.apiman.gateway.platforms.servlet.GatewayServlet.service(GatewayServlet.java:79)\n\tat javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:790)\n\tat io.undertow.servlet.handlers.ServletHandler.handleRequest(ServletHandler.java:85)\n\tat io.undertow.servlet.handlers.security.ServletSecurityRoleHandler.handleRequest(ServletSecurityRoleHandler.java:62)\n\tat io.undertow.servlet.handlers.ServletDispatchingHandler.handleRequest(ServletDispatchingHandler.java:36)\n\tat org.wildfly.extension.undertow.security.SecurityContextAssociationHandler.handleRequest(SecurityContextAssociationHandler.java:78)\n\tat io.undertow.server.handlers.PredicateHandler.handleRequest(PredicateHandler.java:43)\n\tat io.undertow.servlet.handlers.security.SSLInformationAssociationHandler.handleRequest(SSLInformationAssociationHandler.java:131)\n\tat io.undertow.servlet.handlers.security.ServletAuthenticationCallHandler.handleRequest(ServletAuthenticationCallHandler.java:57)\n\tat io.undertow.server.handlers.PredicateHandler.handleRequest(PredicateHandler.java:43)\n\tat io.undertow.security.handlers.AbstractConfidentialityHandler.handleRequest(AbstractConfidentialityHandler.java:46)\n\tat io.undertow.servlet.handlers.security.ServletConfidentialityConstraintHandler.handleRequest(ServletConfidentialityConstraintHandler.java:64)\n\tat io.undertow.security.handlers.AuthenticationMechanismsHandler.handleRequest(AuthenticationMechanismsHandler.java:60)\n\tat io.undertow.servlet.handlers.security.CachedAuthenticatedSessionHandler.handleRequest(CachedAuthenticatedSessionHandler.java:77)\n\tat io.undertow.security.handlers.NotificationReceiverHandler.handleRequest(NotificationReceiverHandler.java:50)\n\tat io.undertow.security.handlers.AbstractSecurityContextAssociationHandler.handleRequest(AbstractSecurityContextAssociationHandler.java:43)\n\tat io.undertow.server.handlers.PredicateHandler.handleRequest(PredicateHandler.java:43)\n\tat org.wildfly.extension.undertow.security.jacc.JACCContextIdHandler.handleRequest(JACCContextIdHandler.java:61)\n\tat io.undertow.server.handlers.PredicateHandler.handleRequest(PredicateHandler.java:43)\n\tat io.undertow.server.handlers.PredicateHandler.handleRequest(PredicateHandler.java:43)\n\tat io.undertow.servlet.handlers.ServletInitialHandler.handleFirstRequest(ServletInitialHandler.java:284)\n\tat io.undertow.servlet.handlers.ServletInitialHandler.dispatchRequest(ServletInitialHandler.java:263)\n\tat io.undertow.servlet.handlers.ServletInitialHandler.access$000(ServletInitialHandler.java:81)\n\tat io.undertow.servlet.handlers.ServletInitialHandler$1.handleRequest(ServletInitialHandler.java:174)\n\tat io.undertow.server.Connectors.executeRootHandler(Connectors.java:202)\n\tat io.undertow.server.HttpServerExchange$1.run(HttpServerExchange.java:793)\n\tat java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)\n\tat java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)\n\tat java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)\nCaused by: java.io.IOException: Not connected.\n\tat io.apiman.gateway.platforms.servlet.connectors.HttpApiConnection.write(HttpApiConnection.java:319)\n\t... 48 more\n"
}

Regards,

Amit Joshi

This e-mail, including accompanying communications and attachments, is strictly confidential and only for the intended recipient. Any retention, use or disclosure not expressly authorised by Markit is prohibited. This email is subject to all waivers and other terms at the following link: http://www.markit.com/en/about/legal/email-disclaimer.page

Please visit http://www.markit.com/en/about/contact/contact-us.page for contact information on our offices worldwide.