[Apiman-user] Edition Published APIs

Ashish Patel ashish.patel at futuregroup.in
Fri Mar 24 00:28:55 EDT 2017

Hi Harry,

No offence meant, but that’s the way APIs are being designed, so that consumers are protected/intimated in advance for the changes in API contracts. Here, you can change v1.0 definition - N times before you have published to consumers.

Say you have API version v1.0 published and 3 consumers already using it, now you need to change the contract parameters and these consumers have already published their applications using your API v1.0. So, ideally you should publish v1.1 along with keeping v1.0 for a given period (say a week to month) allowing consumers to move to new version v1.1 . Practically you can also retire v1.0 itself and create v1.1, however this should be done with prior communication to consumers for changing their endpoints – seems very challenging considering different applications’ different release cycles.

Personal view – anyone else has any different angle to it?

Thanks & Regards,
Ashish