[bv-dev] Constructor validation

Gunnar Morling gunnar.morling at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 1 15:32:22 EST 2011

Hi Sebastian,

is this really something which we should consider in BV?

>From my point of view we should only provide an API for
method/constructor validation (by adding
Validator#validateMethodParameters() for instance), but we shouldn't
provide a trigger/hook executing this validation. I'd see this as the
responsibility of technologies integrating with BV (similar to the
existing validate() methods which are invoked by JSF/JPA if
applicable).

So whether method validation is triggered via a proxy, CDI/Spring AOP
interceptor etc. should be transparent for BV IMO.

I wasn't sure about whether there is an actual need for constructor
validation, but Emmanuel's answer about JAX-RS confirmed that need :)

--Gunnar