[bv-dev] Dependency between constraints and validators

Emmanuel Bernard emmanuel at hibernate.org
Mon Oct 24 04:31:23 EDT 2011

I personally am not bothered by this especially when comparing the drawbacks of alternatives:
- we would need to scan libs - talk to the CDI guys, this is not a trivial problem and at least forces people to put META-INF/bean.xml files in their JARs
- we would need to list libs in an XML DD
- we would need to list all bindings in an XML DD (this solution already exists in BV 1.0)
- we would need to list all binding via a programmatic API (that solution does break compile time checking BTW)
- we would rely one some naming convention (not type-safe and require package scanning which is not trivial either esp in funny environments that use custom URL protocols)
- we would rely on the container to provide the information - which means SE becomes a second class citizen

We can imagine less evil solutions like a "factory" class declared in the XML DD and describing the binding programmatically but I'm not yet convinced of the benefits. For that we would need to explore the programmatic configuration topic first though.

Emmanuel