[bv-dev] Method level validation

Emmanuel Bernard emmanuel at hibernate.org
Tue Sep 6 06:16:57 EDT 2011

While we still decide what to do in which order, I'd like to start thinking about method level validation in parallel.

Probably the biggest feature for this new round ( http://beanvalidation.org/roadmap/ ) is method level validation.

## Goal

Offer the ability to:

- annotate method and constructor parameters and return values with Bean Validation constraints.
- provide validation methods to validate a method / constructor given a set of parameters

This set of methods will be used by framework controlling the method execution cycle (CDI, JAX-RS, aspect oriented frameworks etc).

https://hibernate.onjira.com/browse/BVAL-232

We need to explore this feature to clarify what we want to support, how we want to support it, how it integrates with Bean Validation 1.0.

## Usefulness

This method will be useful to various other specifications including CDI and JAX-RS. That's why I'd like to stabilize this feature as early as possible.

## Proposals

Hibernate Validator has an implementation of such feature and I am sure OVal, Apache Bean Validation and others have something similar. Let's start with describing what we have and start the discussion from here.

Gunnar, could to take the lead on the Hibernate Validator version? You know this area best.

Emmanuel