[bv-dev] Bean Validation and OSGi (was: "Re: Bean Validation and JavaFX")

Gunnar Morling gunnar at hibernate.org
Thu Aug 23 15:05:09 EDT 2012

Hi,

improving the experience of using BV with OSGi is still something I'd
like to see moving forward.

Based on a recent discussion about adding OSGi support to Hibernate
ORM [1], I'm starting to think the right way for dealing with this
would be to have a chapter on BV integration as part of the Enterprise
OSGi spec (which is maintained by the OSGi community). This spec
describes the integration of other Java EE technologies (JTA, JDBC,
JPA etc.) into OSGi, so adding BV there would be quite natural.

Of course BV implementations could still work towards this as long as
there is no standardized approach. AFAICS that has worked quite well
in the JPA area, too (there was some proprietary OSGi support in
EclipseLink which was deprecated/dropped when Enterprise OSGi arrived
with standardized JPA support).

We could facilitate such implementations by adding an OSGi manifest to
the BV spec JAR [3].

--Gunnar

[1] https://hibernate.onjira.com/browse/HHH-7527
[2] http://www.osgi.org/Download/Release5