[bv-dev] Should getters be considered methods during validation

Sebastian Thomschke sebastian.thomschke at web.de
Tue Dec 11 15:17:56 EST 2012

Hi,

I'm +1 for option 1b.

A constraint annotation added to a regular non-getter method always
describes a return value contract whereas a constraint annotation added
to a getter method may be meant to be
a) a return value contract or
b) a property constraint, that only is supposed to be considered during
bean validation.

For getter method constraint annotation my gut feeling is, that you
usually want b) - a property constraint definition.

In OVal we have the annotation @IsInvariant to mark the constraints
defined on a getter for being return value contracts if not present the
constraints are not interpreted as return value contracts.

Regards,

Seb