[bv-dev] BVAL-192 'exclusive' flag for @DecimalMin/@DecimalMax

Matt Benson mbenson at apache.org
Wed Dec 12 10:42:19 EST 2012

I was attempting to respond to this yesterday, but apparently my message
never got sent and the draft was lost.  :/  While I like the idea of using
EL, I feel we will be stepping into a minefield of backwards compatibility
issues.  Consider "order total exceeds ${budget}".  Is this a BV 1.0
message template with a literal dollar sign and a parameter "budget" or a
(proposed) BV 1.1 template with an embedded EL?  The same consideration
applies if we use #{} (I would recommend we accept either one).  This might
be addressed with an optional (for BC) annotation parameter, but 1) it
seems to step on the toes of the MessageInterpolator interface, and 2) it
requires the user to specify how his message is defined.  I suppose we
could define some alternate trigger and translate it before sending to EL,
but this seems a bit less than ideal as well.

Matt