[bv-dev] Should getters be considered methods during validation

Gerhard Petracek gerhard.petracek at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 18:12:25 EST 2012

if everything is fine in an application, you won't see issues with package
annotations.

that users aren't used to it is an important part, because package
annotations are quite hidden and usually unexpected.
esp. because they are quite unexpected, it can happen pretty easily e.g.
during a refactoring/cleanup/... that the application behaves differently
afterwards, but you don't recognize it immediately and later on most people
just check the history of config file/s (and not the package-info).

@ "... the first version found ...":
yes - the behaviour you described is correct, but that's imo even worse.
such issues are sometimes hard enough with classes (e.g. there are
ee-servers which behave differently depending on the names of the archives
-> something can work in application x and in application y there is the
same setup but it fails due to different archive-names). since such issues
are around for years a lot of people know about them, but imo issues caused
by package annotations are harder to find, because package annotations are
just unexpected and it's hard(er) to find the meta-data if it's e.g. a
leftover in a different jar than the one you are looking at.

fyi: mark just told me that the cdi-eg dropped package annotations as well.

regards,
gerhard