[bv-dev] Do we need ConstraintValidatorFactory#releaseInstance()?

Emmanuel Bernard emmanuel at hibernate.org
Mon Dec 17 10:33:30 EST 2012

On Mon 2012-12-10 16:32, Gunnar Morling wrote:
> 2012/12/4 Emmanuel Bernard <emmanuel at hibernate.org>
>
> > Thanks you for the sum up.
> >
> > This email is not a rebuttal, more a set of remarks on the subject.
> >
> > If we manage to remove `releaseInstance()` then we should also remove
> > `ValidatorFactory.close()`. AFAIR, the only reason for `close()` to
> > exist is to allow proper implementations of releaseInstance.
> >
> > The ConstraintValidatorFactory contract is a public contract that can be
> > implemented by anyone. This is also the way for DI framework to provide
> > injectable `ConstraintValidator` implementations.
> >
> > In my mind and in retrospect, `ConstraintValidatorFactory#getInstance()`
> > should have been named `createInstance()`. Remember, caching is not
> > allowed in a `CosntraintValidatorFactory` implementation. So you
> > argument that what creates an object should destroy it applies here:
> > what requests an object creation should request its destruction and
> > that's exactly why we have added this method.
> >
> > >From what you guys say, all implementors of object lifecycle management
> > libs (let's say DI frameworks) have a @PreDestroy logic that is called
> > when the CVF bean would be destroyed by its creator. It seems though
> > that the @PreDestroy method would have to process all objects
> > returned by `getInstance()`. So `getInstance` would need to keep track
> > of them in a concurrent structure of some sort.
> > Is that significantly better than having a `releaseInstance` contract?
> >
> > Pure JSR-330 implementations have no @PreDestroy concept. Nor does Guice
> > AFAIK.
> >
> > Today a Bean Validation implementation can cache ConstraintValidator and
> > discard them upon memory pressure or if they are never used. If the
> > @PreDestroy pattern is used, then this optimization is useless as the
> > object would not be garbage collected until after the CVF is explicitly
> > destroyed.
> >
> > It is possible to pass a ConstraintValidatorFactory instance for a
> > specific validator instance
> >
> >     Validator validator = validatorFactory
> >         .usingContext()
> >             .constraintValidatorFactory(someCVFInstance)
> >         .getValidator();
> >
> > In this case and according to the current draft of BV 1.1, the Bean
> > Validation provider will likely call `getInstance` and `releaseInstance`
> > for each validate* calls on the `Validator`. It could technically keep
> > the custom CVF instance around to check if it is reused in a subsequent
> > `Validator` creation.
> >
> > Because of:
> >
> > - the custom CVF instance per Validator
> > - the ability to offload cached ConstraintValidator instances
> > - the ability to implement a dump BV provider that caches nothing
> >
> > I added what turned out to be a mysterious provision in the spec
> >
> > > `releaseInstance()` is "typically" invoked when the ValidatorFactory is
> > > closed
> >
> > So from what I understand, the choice is between:
> >
> > - explicit releaseInstance and VF.close() with the benefit of more
> [...]

Remember that hard references to ConstraintValidator instances are kept
by the DI framework and that the CVF implementation literally asks the DI
to give an instance and later on asks the DI to release this instance.
So using weak references to ConstraintValidator instances from the CVF
does not solve the problem. They would never be freed. My understanding
is that writing a reference based cache in CVF is not possible.

The entity that knows when it no longer needs a ConstraintValidator is
the Validator or ValidatorFactory and thus is equipped to implement a
proper cache.  A BV implementation could use a LRU cache with a soft
limit to detect unused ConstraintValidator instances and release them.

Emmanuel