[bv-dev] Bean Validation and JavaFX

Matt Benson mbenson at apache.org
Mon Jul 2 13:04:32 EDT 2012

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 10:42 AM, Hardy Ferentschik <hardy at hibernate.org> wrote:

>>> We did explore something around service locators to automatically wire ConstraintValidator implementations to a constraint.
>>> Maybe it is time to bring it back up.
>>
>> Do you have some more details on that?
>
> Bean Validation already has a mechanism for overriding/adding constraint definitions, namely the XML deployment descriptor.
> All JavaFX would have to do is to implement the ConstraintValidators for the different constraints and bootstrap Bean Validation
> accordingly. Of course this could be made easier if there would be also a programmatic way to add constraint validators. Or we try to
> go the service locator approach and to automate the discovery.
>

>>> As of today, the annotations would be of no effect, as there are not
>>> validators such as SizeValidator<Size, StringProperty>. But using the
>>> SPI, one could hook in an adapter which creates a representation of
>>> the Employee type in the abstract model (with e.g. the "lastName"
>>> property being of type String), which would allow the BV runtime to
>>> operate on it.
>>>
>>> That said, I'm aware of that this would probably be a large addition,
>>> and I'm not sure whether it would be doable at all.
>>
>> Yes I am not convinced there us such demand for such feature. And that would definitively be a big undertaking.
>> What do others think?
>
> I agree. Bean Validation is really centered around Java Beans and classes in general.
> There is not only the problem of "discovering" the properties to validate, but also how to
> integrate constraint inheritance, group sequences, etc.
>
> Maybe if one thinks about all this very very carefully there is a way to put it all together, but
> as Gunnar is already suggesting this would imo be a major undertaking which is not suitable for BV 1.1
>
> --Hardy

It's certainly a bigger discussion than just JavaFX; doing this right
might require re-architecting the whole ConstraintValidator/Factory
structure.  The service locator concept puts me in mind of all kinds
of things.  Do we have a basic idea of how often we are open to
creating a new version of the spec?  i.e., for anything we table in
the interest of finishing v1.1, how long must it then wait to be
reconsidered for the next version?

Matt