[bv-dev] Method Validation: Why Example 4.11 should be allowed

Paul Benedict pbenedict at apache.org
Mon Jul 23 14:38:24 EDT 2012

I concur with Matt's point below. Because there hasn't been a
validation standard for most of Java's lifetime, most method
constraints are in javadoc contracts only. I think it's important for
the BV spec to recognize this fact -- not every precondition is
available for introspection at runtime. Thus, there is a long pedigree
here of people who could benefit from BV, if only by chucking their
custom validation code for BV.

The OrderService is a great example due to the total absence of BV
annotations. I don't think the spec should assume the lack of BV
annotations is an intentional use of BV (i.e., no constraints). I can
only see two ways out of this problem to address this fact. Either
annotate OrderService to signify its validation is undefined or
annotate OrderService to signify validation is intended. Thoughts?

Paul