[bv-dev] Changes in BV XML schemas

Hardy Ferentschik hardy at hibernate.org
Tue Jun 12 06:12:50 EDT 2012

On Jun 12, 2012, at 10:31 AM, Gunnar Morling wrote:

> yes, versioning via an XML namespace would also be a possible approach.

As with everything xml/xsd related it seems to be a real jungle out there.
If we do something about versioning I think I still favor the explicit version attribute though.

> Independent from the chosen approach, my question more was when we should create a new distinguishable schema version:
>
> a) with the next schema change we make (so this would be BV 1.1)
> b) with the next incompatible schema change we make (there is none so far in BV 1.1, so this might be a future revision)

Given that the changes we are introducing for BV 1.1 are backwards compatible I don't see a big need to act right now. I think we can defer
the introduction of a version attribute until there is non compatible change or a new major BV version (e.g. 2.0)

> In any case I think we have to provide the new schema (also if the change is backwards-compatible) under a new name (“ validation-configuration-1.1.xsd“), so users have the old and new version available, e.g. for content assist in their IDE.

+1

--Hardy