[bv-dev] Javascript export of bean validation rules

Hardy Ferentschik hardy at hibernate.org
Thu Jun 28 04:15:14 EDT 2012

On Jun 28, 2012, at 6:59 AM, Michael Isvy wrote:

> I was discussing this topic with Emmanuel Bernard by email and Emmanuel suggested that we move this conversation to this mailing-list, so here I am  :).

Welcome :-)

> The idea would be to propose a javascript export of the bean validation rules.

What exactly do you want to export? An JavaScript implementation of the default constraints? Do you have already some concrete ideas?

> In that way, it would become fairly easy to do "true client side validation" (that is: validation that does not require access to the server side until the form is completely valid, or nearly completely valid).
> Many web technologies such as JSF, Spring MVC, Wicket, Tapestry... integrate with JSR 303. Providing such export would be of great help for users of those frameworks (or standard in the case of JSF).

I think several of these technologies already have some form of client side validation of Bean Validation constraints, e.g. Tapestry [1]. Is the aim to offer these technologies a javascript
library as part of Bean Validation which they can use instead? I guess this would include a standardized mechanism for adding custom constraints?

--Hardy

[1] http://tapestry.apache.org/bean-validation.html