[bv-dev] Method validation - cont'd

Hardy Ferentschik hardy at hibernate.org
Tue May 15 04:28:33 EDT 2012

On May 14, 2012, at 5:18 PM, Matt Benson wrote:
>>> * Should method validation methods be defined on j.v.Validator or a
>>> dedicated new interface?
>>
>> Should be on javax.validation.Validator
>
> Destroying backward compatibilty?  Not such a big deal for full-blown
> implementations, perhaps, but what about interoperability libraries
> that may, for whatever reason, implement javax.validation.Validator?
> Shouldn't a user be able to upgrade to a Bean Validation 1.1
> implementation and still use libraries built against Bean Validation
> 1.0?

I think the interoperability library case is really hypothetical. Do you know
of a single such case? I think it is natural that as a specification evolves no
methods get added to interfaces. It is a different story to change existing
methods since this will break existing clients, but adding new functionality
is ok imo.

--Hardy