[bv-dev] [BVAL-286] Class loading service

Hardy Ferentschik hardy at hibernate.org
Sat May 19 08:45:48 EDT 2012

On May 18, 2012, at 4:38 AM, Michael Nascimento wrote:

> Issues like this:
>
> https://hibernate.onjira.com/browse/HHH-7084
>
> Thread Context ClassLoader is the de facto standard these days. If we
> choose to actually defining and allowing classloading to be
> customized, the default must be TCCL.

Funny that you that. We had just had an Hibernate Validator issue not so long ago where
a modular system expert told us just the opposite. Don't use TCCL first ;-)

I think the bottom line is that there is no standard. Checking TCCL first and then the
current class loader was a strategy which Hibernate applied for quite some time.
It proved to be a good approach for quite some time. However, the current trend seems to be
to make the class loading more configurable and allow to for example pass a class loader.

--Hardy