[bv-dev] [BVAL-286] Class loading service

Gunnar Morling gunnar.morling at googlemail.com
Sat May 19 09:11:48 EDT 2012

Am 19.05.2012 14:45 schrieb "Hardy Ferentschik" <hardy at hibernate.org>:

> On May 18, 2012, at 4:38 AM, Michael Nascimento wrote:
>
> > Issues like this:
> >
> > https://hibernate.onjira.com/browse/HHH-7084
> >
> > Thread Context ClassLoader is the de facto standard these days. If we
> > choose to actually defining and allowing classloading to be
> > customized, the default must be TCCL.
>
> Funny that you that. We had just had an Hibernate Validator issue not so
long ago where
> a modular system expert told us just the opposite. Don't use TCCL first
;-)

> I think the bottom line is that there is no standard. Checking TCCL first
and then the
> current class loader was a strategy which Hibernate applied for quite
some time.
> It proved to be a good approach for quite some time. However, the current
trend seems to be
> to make the class loading more configurable and allow to for example pass
a class loader.

Yepp, I think that's the best way.

The default behavior could be the one you describe, but if a specific
classloader is configured by the user, this one should be taken to load
user provided resources and classes.

AFAIK under OSGi it's not defined what CL is set as the TCCL, so one can't
really rely on it there.

--Gunnar