[bv-dev] BVAL-327: enabling / disabling method validation

Emmanuel Bernard emmanuel at hibernate.org
Fri Feb 1 05:55:30 EST 2013

Please review the latest changes to the integration chapter
http://beanvalidation.org/latest-draft/spec/#integration

After much deliberations here are the choices that have been made:

- the section around @ValidateExecutable and the XML global config
  <validated-executables/> has moved to the integration chapter
- <validated-executables/> is part of validation.xml (and not beans.xml)
  and is only visible via
  Configuration.getBootstrapConfiguration().getValidatedExecutableTypes()
- @ValidateExecutable and <validated-executables/> do not influence the
  metadata and runtime behavior of the Bean Validation engines
- it is the interception technology's responsibility to honor <validated-executables/>
  and @ValidateExecutable

There has been much debates between Hardy, Gunnar and I. I was
personally in favor of honoring  <validated-executables/> and @ValidateExecutable
in the BV runtime and metadata (with an option to disable that) but they
felt that due to the separation of concern / responsibility, it was
better to leave that to the integration piece with the interception
technology.

To be clear, validateParameters and co as well as the
metadata around executables ignore <validated-executables/> and @ValidateExecutable
today.

Please read the chapter (and the linked sections). It's a short read but
that will be useful for us if you can express your opinion.

Remember, we are in the last 20 days to finish everything in BV 1.1.

Emmanuel