[bv-dev] Name for path nodes representing return values

Hardy Ferentschik hardy at hibernate.org
Fri Feb 8 10:21:56 EST 2013

I don't want to introduce a name for the return value to allow things like

if(node.getName.equals("retval")) {
	ReturnValueDescriptor descriptor = (ReturnValueDescriptor) node.getElementDescriptor();
}

The actual type of a node is still given by it ElementDescriptor. The name cannot be used for that. It is more for convenience
and "nice" toString implementation. Yes it could be ambiguous, but I don't think it matters. Any code relying on the property path
as string is potentially wrong anyways. A white space seems odd, especially in the light of toString.

In that light $retval might be a legal java identifier, but chances are slim someone uses it.

--Hardy