[bv-dev] Configuring method validation

Rich Midwinter rich.midwinter at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 16:17:21 EST 2013

On Thursday, 17 January 2013, Gunnar Morling <gunnar at hibernate.org> wrote:
>> I guess preferring consistency across projects rather than within them.
> Ok, I see.
> I'd expect a user typically to do several projects using one and the same
of these integration technologies instead of using Bean Validation once
with CDI, once with Spring etc. So wouldn't it be beneficial for a user for
the sake of consistency to configure which methods are subject to
interception according to the paradigms of their platform (CDI, Spring
etc.)?

Yes, but I think it's a balance; I'd probably expect more of a mixed
picture rather than all one framework or no framework used more than once.
Mileage will undoubtedly vary though and I certainly don't hold a strong
preference on this thin basis.

> To make a case against my own argument though, I think there is right
now no way of globally configuring things such as "include getters" in CDI.
This could be done using e.g. a property in beans.xml, but AFAIK there is
no such thing as properties there as of today. Not sure whether time allows
to try to get this in.
> Advantages I see of leaving this to integration technologies is that we
don't have to deal with inheritance rules of the related configuration and
from a BV perspective all methods would be handled equally during
validation.
> --Gunnar
>
> 2013/1/16 Rich Midwinter <rich.midwinter at gmail.com>
>>
>> I'm torn on this one, Gunnar makes a good argument as ever. Defined by
the BV spec would get my vote though, I guess preferring consistency across
projects rather than within them.

>> Rich.
>>

>> On Wednesday, 16 January 2013, Michael Nascimento <misterm at gmail.com>
wrote:
>> > I think BV should fully specify the behaviour, i.e., it should be some
>> > sort of flag supported by our spec, not the technology consuming it.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> > Michael

It's

Spring