[bv-dev] Method constraints and TraversableResolver contract

Emmanuel Bernard emmanuel at hibernate.org
Thu Jan 31 07:07:00 EST 2013

Said a bit differently, here are the consequences.

In the current model, parameter and return values are not going through
the filter of TraversableResolver. This means that if a parameter or
return value is a JPA proxy (lazy object), Bean Validation will by side
effect trigger the loading of the proxy.

That is not an ideal situation IMO but as HAryd points out it's
consistent with the behavior on beans passed to the validate() methods.

There are alternatives to solve this problem but they are not 100%
satisfactory. What would you prefer:

1. not use traversableResolver for parameter and return values and
risking the excessive object loading
2. use traversable resolver for parameters and return values with the
existing methods. This creates not so obvious use of the TR API but the
impact on TR implementors should be minimal. OTOH it's a bit
inconsistent with the bean objects behavior.
3. use traversable resolver for params, return values and beans passed
to the validate methods.  This creates not so obvious use of the TR API.
This makes for a consistent experience but will break TraversableResolver
implementations. Compatibility issues will arise
4. use traversable resolver for params, return values and beans passed
to the validate methods but using a new dedicated method on TR. This
makes for a consistent experience, will be natural contract wise but
will break TraversableResolver implementation. Compatibility issues will
arise.

What is your preference? Ideally with some arguments for it.

Emmanuel