[bv-dev] Method constraints in inheritance hierarchies

Denis Silva denis.analistajava at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 08:18:53 EDT 2013

Gunnar,

I'm using glassfish 4.0, that uses hibernate validator 5.0.0.Final.

Debugging ValidationExtension for a while, i found one problem (may be
not).
When i use validations constraints in the abstract class, the
ValidationEnabledAnnotatedType that enable the interception of the bean, is
applied on the subclass implementation and the abstract class, but when i
use an interface, the wrappedType is applied just in the interface.

That way, the interface implementation will never be intercepted, right?

I will create an entry on forum, but there is no stacktrace in my case, the
expected validation just not work.

Att,

2013/7/6 Gunnar Morling <gunnar at hibernate.org>

> Hi,
>
> I don't think that's a spec problem.
>
> The @NotNull constraint should be validated, no matter wether Foo is an
> interface or an abstract class. Generally constraints on
> overridden/implemented methods are to be considered, you only may not add
> any more parameter constraints in subclasses/implementations.
>
> Are you using the Hibernate Validator CDI portable extension? Which
> container do you use? Could you create an entry with the complete stack
> trace and a detailed description of your environment to
> https://forum.hibernate.org/viewforum.php?f=9?
>
> --Gunnar
>

> 2013/7/6 Denis Silva <denis.analistajava at gmail.com>
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm doing some tests with bean validation, and i have some doubts about
>> the behavior of method constraints on inheritance hierarchies.
>> The specification tells about Liskov substitution, on method constraints
>> within inheritance hierarchies, but i made the test bellow with
>> the reference implementation ( hiberante validator 5.1 ), and not
>> understand if this is a bug in implementation or my misunderstanding the
>> specification.
>>
>> public interface Foo {
>>      public void doStuff(@NotNull String v);
>> }
>>
>> @Named
>> public class Bar implements Foo {
>>      public void doStuff(String v) {}
>> }
>>
>> Calling bar.doStuff(null), the validation is not fired.
>> But if i changed Foo interface to an abstract class, and made Bar extends
>> it, the validation is fired and a ConstraintViolationException is
>> propagated.
>> The test was done with cdi.
>>
>> What should be the appropriate behavior?
>>
>> --
>> Denis Tiago

Denis Silva
Analista Programador Java