[bv-dev] Bean Validation and JAX-RS: conversion too?

Edward Burns edward.burns at oracle.com
Mon Jul 15 11:53:27 EDT 2013

>>>>> On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 08:44:57 +0200, Emmanuel Bernard <emmanuel at hibernate.org> said:

Emmanuel> I have to admit I am not particularly experienced in the
Emmanuel> "conversion" / "transformation" field but my intuition follows
Emmanuel> what Matt has been describing. i.e. a separate specification
Emmanuel> to cover this.  Out of curiosity, do you Ed or anyone see
Emmanuel> specific adherence between Bean Validation and conversion? I
Emmanuel> can see a few thinking only a few minutes to the subject:

Emmanuel> - one might want conversion after some input has been
Emmanuel> validated - coarse grained around "convertibility"? Or is that
Emmanuel> the whole responsibility of the converter?  - one might want
Emmanuel> validation after some input has been converted - fine grained

I honestly don't think it makes sense to validate against business rules
until things are in the right type.  Type conversion is merely the most
fundamental kind of validation.

Ed