[bv-dev] Data-driven execution for validation constraints

Gunnar Morling gunnar at hibernate.org
Thu Jun 6 17:23:55 EDT 2013

2013/6/6 Thang Le <thangmle at gmail.com>

> Thanks, Emmanuel
>
> Here is a use case right off from my current work. My system is monitoring
> a set of devices. A device is modeled as a class named AuthorizedDevice.
> This class has many attributes. One of them is 'model' which can be any
> value from a set of valid values: SD, TRANSNET, X710... An AuthorizedDevice
> also has an attribute called 'role' which can be either REMOTE or
> ACCESSPOINT. Based on the value set for 'model' & 'role', we either do or
> relax specific constraints on some attributes. For example: if an
> AuthorizedDevice has its 'role' set to ACCESSPOINT, we require certain
> attributes must not be blank. While an AuthorizedDevice has its 'role' set
> to REMOTE, we relax certain constraints.
>
> I've tried to use grouping feature of Bean Validation but it doesn't seem
> to help in achieving the my goal. I agree we can always write custom
> constraints but that means I can't reuse the built-in validation
> constraints from the framework (not even in the case of writing a
> constraint composition). And certainly, I would not want to write a custom
> constraints for checking NotBlank. @ScriptAssert is no better than writing
> your own custom constraint.

Hi Thang,

There is a solution if you don't mind using a feature specific to the BV
reference implementation Hibernate Validator.

There you can dynamically re-define the default group sequence of an object
dependening on its state. So you could assign the constraints to two
groups, AccessPoint.class and Remote.class and return one or the other as
default group, depending on the value of the "role" attribute.
http://docs.jboss.org/hibernate/stable/validator/reference/en-US/html_single/#d0e2886has
the details.

Maybe we should consider to add something like this to the spec.

--Gunnar

Thang