[bv-dev] Configure validation constraints at runtime

Marcos Antonio marcos_antonio_ps at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 24 19:38:59 EST 2014

Let me try to be a bit more clear.
Consider this entity:

@Entity
public class Employee
{
    private String _name;

    // ...

    @Size(min = 1, max = 50)
    public String getName()
    {
        return _name;
    }

    // ...
}

If some client of mine asked me to change the name of the employees to accept 70 characters because 50 is not enough anymore I have to change my application for all clients. But if the bean validation specification allowed me to configure the constraints dinamically I could do this configuration on a cliente basis. All I had to do was to change the database structure for the specific column, register this fact in some table of mine and in the application startup my application would check for changes and configure the corresponding bean constraint. With static constraints (as it is today) we don't have this flexibility.

Marcos