[bv-dev] BV 2.0 - Introductions

Gunnar Morling gunnar at hibernate.org
Wed Aug 10 10:45:14 EDT 2016

Hi everyone,

I'm very happy to report that the review ballot for the Bean Validation 2.0
JSR proposal was approved by the JCP EC with a great majority [1]!

This means we can get the ball rolling and work towards an early draft of
the new spec revision. As described in [2], the schedule is compact and
thus we'll need to choose the things to tackle wisely. The most important
issue will be making BV fit for Java 8, but we should be able to address
some other requests besides that.

The JSR proposal [3] contains a few potential ideas, but I'm very eager to
learn about your requests and demands from the field. Anything which helps
to further improve usefulness and/or usability of BV is worth discussing.

Note that you don't need to be on the expert group - although you are very
welcome to join [7] - in order to contribute. We also value any inputs by
non-members on this mailing list, the forum [4] and the issue tracker [5].
The JCP 2.10 rules (under which this JSR operates) foresee the role of
"Contributors" which has very low entry barriers.

Before diving into details though, let's have a quick round of
introductions so everyone knows who they are dealing with :)

Let me start:

I'm working as a software engineer in the Hibernate team at Red Hat and
took over the lead of the BV JSR from Emmanuel Bernard (who will remain
active in the EG). In the past I've been contributing to the 1.1 spec (e.g.
method validation), worked on the reference implementation Hibernate
Validator (which I'm also leading now) and the 1.1 TCK. Besides BV, I'm
working on several other projects in the Hibernate universe, most notably
Hibernate OGM (providing object mapping via JPA to NoSQL stores) and
Hibernate Search (providing full-text search for JPA domain models).

I'm looking forward very much to make BV 2.0 happen together with all of
you!

I'll soon start separate thread(s) on some first action items.

--Gunnar

PS: Please subscribe to the beanvalidation-dev list [6] if you haven't done
so yet; it's where discussions mostly will take place. To be sure I've sent
this mail in copy to all those who had signalled an interest in
contributing to BV 2.0 beforehand.

[1] https://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/results?id=5871
[2] http://beanvalidation.org/news/2016/07/15/bean-validation-2-0-is-coming/
[3] https://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=380