[bv-dev] Namespace for XML descriptors

Gunnar Morling gunnar at hibernate.org
Fri Aug 19 06:29:47 EDT 2016

Hi all,

The XML descriptors in BV (validation.xml, constraint mapping XML files)
use a jboss.org specific namespace as of 1.1. We should change that into
something under jcp.org [1] which is what all other descriptors of Java EE
techs do as of Java EE 7 (see Antonio Goncalves' blog post on this topic at
[2]).

What's rather unclear to me is why most of techs share the same namespace "
http://xmlns.jcp.org/xml/ns/javaee", e.g. JSF, CDI and Servlet as per
Antonio's post. I think having a specific names space for BV is more
sensible (as done by JPA, too), not the least because BV isn't tied to EE.

So I'd suggest to use

* http://xmlns.jcp.org/xml/ns/validation" (for validation.xml)
* http://xmlns.jcp.org/xml/ns/validation/mapping" (for constraint
validation mapping files)