[bv-dev] On the support for Optional (was Re: Support for constraints on container values (e.g. Collection<@Email String>))

Gunnar Morling gunnar at hibernate.org
Mon Nov 21 11:40:02 EST 2016

Agreed that it can be made work for all cases (the RI does it already more
or less). Question is whether by supporting e.g. Optional fields we
encourage modelling styles that are discouraged by the JDK team. But maybe
that's just a question of documentation/wording, i.e. we could support it
everywhere but only show usage on return values / getter props in the spec.

> It is the same for all intended purposes in Bean Validation.

There is one subtle difference actually. What should we return from
PropertyDescriptor#getElementClass() if the field is Foo, but the getter is
Optional<Foo>?

That's a case where our nice unified model falls apart a little bit. One
quick thought would be to return Foo and have a new method isOptional(),
though that wouldn't answer whether the field or the getter is optional.