[bv-dev] Proposal for supporting new Java 8 date/time types

Michael Nascimento misterm at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 09:47:28 EDT 2016

On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 10:12 AM, Hardy Ferentschik <hardy at hibernate.org>
wrote:

> So what would be the difference to the TimeProvider which is currently
> supported as a Hibernate Validator specific
> extension. Very similar, right?

Could you please send the link to me, please?

> How does this solve so the problem of determining the time zone of say a
> LocalDate at time of validation.
> Say the LocalDate is generated on a client and send to a server where
> validation occurs. Any time zone from the client
> side is lost. Is the assumption in this proposition that the time zone of
> the server is used? I don't think this would
> be correct (at least not in all cases).

It is. If there is ever more than one TZ, you shouldn't be using LocalDate.
We cannot encourage people to use the wrong type for the job.

> I guess a simple solution would be to define in the spec that date/time
> types which are not an instant in time will
> always use a fixed time zone (eg UTC) for comparison. This would most
> likely also lead to some confusing border cases
> for users, but it would be deterministic.

This shows a misunderstanding of choosing the type you need. If you have
LDT, you have a single fixed time zone that you know what is (for instance,
a system is only used in a single location), that's what should be used in
the server side for comparison. If you have different time zones, you
probably need ZDT.

Regards,
Michael