[bv-dev] Feedback for BVAL-214

Hendrik Ebbers hendrik.ebbers at me.com
Thu Sep 1 07:02:53 EDT 2016

Hi,

I had a deeper look at BVAL-214 (http://beanvalidation.org/proposals/BVAL-214/) and have some additional input. Since we depend on java 8 I think it would make sense to use suppliers to create the bean mocks for validation. This can look like this:

BeanValidator<ContactDataModel> contactValidator = BeanValidator.build(ContactDataModel.class);
contactValidator.withProperty("city", () -> cityField.getText()).
        withProperty("zipCode", () -> zipCodeField.getText());

In addition I think that it will be important to have a better feedback for the violations that are based on a UI field. If you have a violation based in the text of the cityField you normally want to mark that field in the UI. I think a consumer can really help here:

contactValidator.withProperty("city", () -> cityField.getText(), v -> markCityField(v));
By doing so you will always get the set of violations that is based on the value in the city field.

You can find a first idea of such an interface and 2 view controller examples here: https://github.com/guigarage/validation-playground/tree/master/src/main/java/com/guigarage/dynamicvalidation

Cheers,

Hendrik