[bv-dev] Container element validation for arrays

Matt Benson mbenson at apache.org
Wed Apr 19 11:38:02 EDT 2017

My understanding was that using:

@Size(2) String[] arrayOfTwoStrings;

was basically "wrong" according to the new annotation semantics. Rather
you'd have:

@Size(2) String[] arrayOfTwoCharacterCodes;
String @Size(2) [] arrayOfTwoStrings;

The "nuclear" option is to adopt this wholeheartedly in BV 2.0. We could
additionally support a "compatibility mode" that, if enabled, would
preserve the BV 1.x constrained array semantics, with no Java-based option
to validate each element  (as the appropriate constraint position has been
hijacked). Alternatively, a given BV implementation could support a special
mode to turn on the "new" behavior, but that would probably be much more
messy for re-unifying the specification and implementations in the future.

Matt