[bv-dev] Spec question on ContainerElementTypeDescriptor

Matt Benson mbenson at apache.org
Wed Jun 21 08:31:56 EDT 2017

On Jun 21, 2017 2:58 AM, "Gunnar Morling" <gunnar at hibernate.org> wrote:

> My thinking was to make it possible for a user to configure container
> element constraints for various levels of the inheritance hierarchy
> for a given e.g. method return type. So continuing the lookup example,
> perhaps we want to constrain the key of a LookupTable only for
> LookupImpl and not for every implementation of ILookup.

Ah, got you.

I don't think it's something we should support really, as it'd abandon
the symmetry of capabilities of annotations and XML. For such use
case, LookupImpl#getLookup() should declare a return type of Map<...,
...> itself, so container element constraints can be applied via
<beanClass class="LookupImpl">...</beanClass>.

I suppose allowing a particular XML class configuration to target a
superclass method in the suggested manner would confer an advantage not
available to the annotation based config. Let's finish it up then. :-)

Matt

> On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 8:04 AM, Gunnar Morling <gunnar at hibernate.org>
wrote:

>>> I'm pretty sure wildcards are explicitly mentioned as not being
>>> supported, and bounds are mentioned there. I don't remember type vars
>>> being included in that. You say "as of BV 2.0." Can I take that to
>>> mean that you think it's at least possible that this might be
>>> something the spec should support in the future? Is this basically a
>>> case of limiting feature creep so that we can finish this iteration
>>> ASAP?
>>
>> Yes, it's definitely something we can consider to support in a future
>> revision. But for BV 2.0 it's too late to add it, as I'll have to
>> submit the Proposed Final Draft tomorrow or say latest Thursday. While
>> we can do some more adjustments until Final Approval Ballot, this may
>> only be corrections and clarifications of already added stuff at this
>> point unfortunately.
>>
>> For sure we should explore this on the implementation level, so we
>> have some experiences already when starting to work on the next spec
>> revision.

>>> If we've established that the ContainerElementType needs the container
>>> type to be certain of providing enough information to locate the
>>> relevant value extractor, then consider the XML mapping. Say we have:
>>>
>>> interface ILookup {
>>>   Map<String, String> getLookup();
>>> }
>>>
>>> class LookupTable extends Hashtable<String, String> {
>>> }
>>>
>>> class LookupImpl implements ILookup {
>>>   private LookupTable lookupTable;
>>>
>>>   LookupTable getLookup() {
>>>     return lookupTable;
>>>   }
>>> }
>>>
>>> And we want to constrain the type parameters of the Map in XML:
>>>
>>> <bean class="ILookup">
>>>   <getter name="getLookup">
>>>     <!-- TBD -->
>>>   </getter>
>>> </bean>
>>>
>>> We could do:
>>>
>>> <container-element-type container-type="java.util.Map"
type-argument-index="0">
>>>   <constraint annotation="NotNull" />
>>>   <constraint annotation="NotBlank" />
>>> </container-element-type>
>>> <container-element-type container-type="java.util.Map"
type-argument-index="1">
> [...]
>>                 <constraint annotation="NotBlank" />
>>             </container-element-type>
>>             <container-element-type type-argument-index="1">
>>                 <constraint annotation="NotBlank" />
>>             </container-element-type>
>>         </getter>
>>     </bean>
>>
>> I.e. this is about Map<String, String> as that's the type of
>> ILookup#getLookup().
>>

>>> ... and for simplicity's sake, since the typical container likely has
>>> a single element type, we probably should continue to support this.
>>> But should we also allow, e.g.:
>>>
>>> <container type="java.util.Map">
>>>   <container-element-type type-argument-index="0">
>>>     <constraint annotation="NotNull" />
>>>     <constraint annotation="NotBlank" />
>>>   </container-element-type>
>>>   <container-element-type type-argument-index="1">
>>>     <constraint annotation="NotBlank" />
>>>   </container-element-type>
>>> </container-type>
>>
>> I think it's answered by my previous comment?
>>

> My thinking was to make it possible for a user to configure container
> element constraints for various levels of the inheritance hierarchy
> for a given e.g. method return type. So continuing the lookup example,
> perhaps we want to constrain the key of a LookupTable only for
> LookupImpl and not for every implementation of ILookup. Given the time
> issue though we can leave this alone for now.
>

>>> WRT the optionality of the type argument index, it's clear that for
>>> containers with a single element type, that could be omitted. Is it
>>> further intended that where the list of container-element-type
>>> elements has a length matching the number of type variables declared
>>> on the container type, these should be understood to specify a 1:1
>>> ordered correspondence? If so, is there a place (and hopefully a more
>>> intelligible way ;) ) to clarify that in the spec?
>>
>> That behaviour is not intended. I don't like the idea of relying on
>> ordering, as it'd require you to specify (empty) container element
>> type nodes for all type arguments, also if only one is to be
>> constrained.
>>
>> That's what we currently say in the spec:
>>
>>     "The type-argument-index is used to specify the index of the
>> configured type argument. The type-argument-index can be omitted, if
>> the container element type has exactly one type argument. [...] If an
>> invalid container type element configuration is detected, a
>> ValidationException is raised. This includes the following
>> configuration errors:
>>
>>     * The type of the surrounding element (field, getter etc.) has no
>> type arguments.
>>     * The type of the surrounding element has no type argument with
>> the index given via type-argument-index.
>>     * The type of the surrounding element has multiple type arguments
>> and no index is given via type-argument-index.
>>     * The same type argument of the surrounding element is configured
>> multiple times."
>>
>> Do you think this is clear enough or should we change the wording in

is

Iterable

return

Roles