[bv-dev] Support for OptionalInt, OptionalLong and OptionalDouble

Gunnar Morling gunnar at hibernate.org
Tue May 9 09:36:03 EDT 2017

Hi,

I'm curious about your take on supporting the types in ${subject}
(BVAL-579 [1]).

They are non-generic wrappers for int, long and double. Should we
support them with the numeric constraints such as @Min et al.? The
easiest way to do so would be to just mandate support in the JavaDoc
of the numeric constraint types.

The only thing I can see speaking against this is that we may migrate
to an extractor-based approach in a future revision. Currently
extractors cannot be used, as those types don't have any type
parameter which could be extracted. But assuming we extend the
extractor API in a future revision to deal with non-generic types,
too, we could then rather mandate built-in extractors for those types.
Which will allow to put *any* constraint applying to int also to
OptionalInt.

Should we do such change in a future revision, I don't think anything
would change for users. Only providers would have to implement support
for these types via extractors instead of dedicated constraint
validators. I think such change is acceptable.

What do others think?

Thanks,

--Gunnar

[1] https://hibernate.atlassian.net/browse/BVAL-579