[cdi-dev] CDI 1.1 EDR1 posted :-)

Carlo de Wolf cdewolf at redhat.com
Fri Oct 7 10:49:36 EDT 2011

On 10/07/2011 09:17 AM, Stuart Douglas wrote:
> On 07/10/2011, at 6:13 PM, Mark Struberg wrote:
>
>> I basically share the sentiments Gavin posted on in.relation.to. We could do it but we really should be picky and don't let the oldschool (call it 'unsexy') EJB and EE like styled XML schema make it into the spec but rather build on top of the namespace->package based syntax we had in the original CDI draft.
>>
>> BUT:
>>
>> 1.) we need to be aware that XML schemas are NOT that easy to change later! Thus if we see that we have forgotten something, then we are doomed for the future... And this situation is highly likely imo since getting this part right is not exactly easy.
>>

>> 2.) writing a water-safe spec for this might get pretty hard. Expect to add 20 more pages to our spec...
>>

>> 3.) There is one de-facto standard for it already, which is seam-XML. CODI nor any other CDI Extension project will introduce any similar stuff because Seam-XML is working fine and has a perfectly business friendly license. So I'm not sure which benefit writing it into the spec would bring. I see no benefit over the current situation for CDI containers nor end-users. Au contraire: if we hit an error in seam-xml, then it's easy to get this fixed centrally.
>>
>> LieGrue,
>> strub
>>

> I agree 100%. We already have a standards compliant and portable implementation of XML configuration, thanks to CDI portable extensions. I really don't see the benefit of writing this into the spec.
>
> Stuart

While the implementation itself adheres to the CDI extension standard,
it in itself is not a standard.

The question I have is, would users and vendors want to have CDI
extensions themselves be standardized?

I think there is value in having some CDI extensions be certified. Not
just being a de-facto.
(Remember how Seam and Hibernate became de-jure.)

Now this should in no way be attached to the CDI spec itself. Each
extension spec should have its independent lifecycle, so it can be
updated or deprecated at whim.

I would even say that EJB 4 would make a nice case.
(Although calling it EJB 4 would be so wrong. ;-) )

Carlo