[cdi-dev] CDI have any plan to process Transaction?

Pete Muir pmuir at redhat.com
Mon Apr 30 04:55:40 EDT 2012

Just to be 100% clear, as there is a lot of confusion around this topic.

* @Transactional *IS NOT* being developed by the CDI EG nor will it be in the CDI spec
* @Transactional *IS* being developed as a revision to the JTA spec (as a MR IIRC, but that was not my/our decision to make)
* Feedback on @Trasnactional should be sent to the Java EE platform EG NOT to the CDI EG. The platform EG is conducting the revision to the JTA spec.

HTH!

On 30 Apr 2012, at 09:19, Pete Muir wrote:

> On 29 Apr 2012, at 23:12, Dan Allen wrote:
>
>> Am I correct in saying that the annotation will control JTA
>
> Yes, this will be an amendment to the JTA spec AIUI. So back where it belongs!
>
>> and work in either of the two profiles (web and full)?
>
> We haven't discussed this, but I'm assuming both. I will raise this.
>

>> Btw, Java EE does not recognize a Servlet container as a compliant environment and therefore this feature will not be available there (without special support for it).
>
> Correct. Main obstacle is actually a lack of JTA there, rather than the declarative control… But I think OWB and Weld will both offer something here as we all regard it as important!
>

>> I agree with this stance since the web profile should be recognized as the low end environment. Otherwise there is not enough core services to provide a dependable and portable programming model. If you (general audience) want to use a Servlet container, you aren't using Java EE and will have to supplement with addons like CDI extensions or Spring.
>>
>> -Dan
>>
>> --
>> Sent from my CyanogenMod-powered
>> Android device, an open platform for
>> carriers, developers and consumers.
>>
>> On Apr 27, 2012 4:54 AM, "Pete Muir" <pmuir at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Java EE 7 will include @Transactional. This will be provided by the Java EE platform, rather than CDI specifically. It will be a CDI interceptor, and so enabled as other CDI interceptors are.
>>
>> On 24 Apr 2012, at 09:10, Hantsy Bai wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have read some content about the spec 1.1, but I want to know if there
>>> is a plan to provide a new transaction annotation...for EBJ or none EJB
>>> proramming.
>>>
>>> For example, provide a @Transactional annotation like Seam2 or Spring
>>> 3.1...and make it work in Servlet container(none JTA transation, jdbc
>>> only) or full profile container such as JBoss, Glassfish(JTA transaction
>>> by default) seamlessly.
>>>
>>> Automatically detect the Transaction will be used, or configure in
>>> beans.xml file.
>>>

>>> Regards
>>> Hantsy