[cdi-dev] Producer#dispose(T instance) and similar

Mark Struberg struberg at yahoo.de
Fri Dec 7 16:56:33 EST 2012

> I think the critical part of the spec to understand this is 11.2. I'm
> quoting here from the CDI 1.1 spec, into which we have add the clarification
> that "The instance returned by produce() may be a proxy.". The part
> about building interceptors and decorators is there in CDI 1.0.

I think that would end up being highly non-portable and we must revert this 'clarification' as it breaks a lot of stuff!

Proxies are the core business of the cdi container! If we allow/force a pluggable Producer<T> to handle the interception proxying then this would not be possible without knowing implementation details of the respective container. This starts with the fact that we need to store the implicitly @Dependent scoped Interceptors and Decorators in our CreationalContexts but we do _not_ define an API to portably extract Interceptors and Decorators from them later.

Also this contradicts the need that some functionality like e.g. CDI events might be private methods. There is just no way to invoke a private method on a proxy whose internal structure you don't know. And doing the interceptors via subclassing instead of proxies would break both the EJB and the interceptors spec which define that only 'external' calls must get intercepted.

LieGrue,
strub