[cdi-dev] LJC comments/questions

Pete Muir pmuir at redhat.com
Thu Jan 26 06:50:57 EST 2012

Hi Luigi

On 25 Jan 2012, at 20:00, Mark Struberg wrote:

> Hi Luigi!
>
> I'm not aware of any private mailing list for the CDI-1.1 EG. And if there is one, then I have forgotten about it because we never used it :)

We had one originally, as it seemed standard under the old JCP rules. As part of the JCP 2.8 change, it was closed down by the JCP PMO. This is the only ml.

> As you can see in the pretty long discussions inside some Jira issues (checkout CDI-18 or 129 if you like to have some fun), most of the discussions happen either there or sometimes (for sorting out the really controversial stuff) on the #jsr346 IRC channel on irc.freenode.net.
>

> Just a few quick notes from my private pov:
>
>> - CDI-160 Split the specification into "Core" and "EE integrations".
>
> This is _now_ mostly a wording issue. In the past, this was really a very politically explosive topic. But now the dust has settled and CDI in general has shown that it's definitely the right way to go - also fore SE!
>

>> - CDI-26 Provide a bootstrap API for the CDI container outside of an EE container.
>> Do you think these will make it into CDI 1.1?
> I hope so, but please don't underestimate the work which needs to be done to integrate CDI into a server. Regardless if it's just SE (where some features like 'Session', JNDI, etc needs to be emulated) or EE. Imo we could definitely need some feedback in this area.

Yes, they will. I'm hopeful I can look more at CDI 1.1 again in Feb.

>> - CDI-30 An API for managing built in contexts
> also neat but could be pretty complex without integration code. But should be doable. In OWB we have such a stuff already. For Arquillian we also could use this.

Yeah, this I'm personally fond of. The hard part will be aligning what Weld has and what OWB has I guess ;-)

>> - CDI-51 Support static injection
>> Static injection would still not be allowed for final fields, just as for the non-static case, right?
> Basically. final fields are always problematic, because some VMs make assumptions and optimize stuff.
>
> I made this observation when changing final fields in unit tests via reflection - this only works under pretty restricted conditions.

Yes.

George owns the second, so he can comment on his progress there.