[cdi-dev] Unexplained change in behavior between Java EE 6 and Java EE 7

Steve Millidge smillidge at c2b2.co.uk
Mon Dec 8 12:08:51 EST 2014

Hi

We are investigating a change in behaviour between Java EE 6 and Java EE 7 and were wondering if this is a bug or a specification change;

If there is a RequestScoped bean and SFSB like below, and I call invokeStatefulService() on the Request Scoped Bean the behaviour changes depending on Java EE version;

On GFv3 and JBoss EAP 6 the method returns "init" implying we have 2 separate SFSB instances.
and on GFv4 and WildFly the method returns "stateFromFirst" implying there is 1 SFSB instance.

I would've imagined that the second result i.e. 1 SFSB as there is 1 client bean which exists for the duration of the call is the correct behaviour. However I am not sure.

As both appservers above use JBoss Weld for CDI is this a Weld bug or did the behaviour change between Java EE 6 and Java EE 7?

@RequestScoped
public class Injection {

    @Inject
    StatefulService first;

    @Inject
    StatefulService second;

    public String invokeStatefulService(){
        first.setState("stateFromFirst");
        return second.getState();
    }
}

@Stateful
public class StatefulService {

    private String state;

    @PostConstruct
    public void init(){
        this.state = "init";
    }

    public void setState(String state) {
        this.state = state;
    }

    public String getState() {
        return state;
    }
}

Steve Millidge
Director
C2B2
The Leading Independent Middleware Experts.
T: 08450 539457 | M: 07920 100626 | W: www.c2b2.co.uk<http://www.c2b2.co.uk/> | E: smillidge at c2b2.co.uk<mailto:smillidge at c2b2.co.uk>
[Main SIgnature May 14]
C2B2 Consulting Limited, Malvern Hills Science Park, Geraldine Road, Malvern, Worcestershire, WR14 3SZ
Registered in England and Wales: 4563419, Registered Office: Ardendale, Old Hollow, Malvern, Worcestershire