[cdi-dev] Do we already have a kind of CDI SE in 1.1+ ?

Antoine Sabot-Durand antoine at sabot-durand.net
Fri Dec 19 06:03:47 EST 2014

Hi guys,

As I said during last meeting I was puzzled by the non use of CDI and CDIProvider to address CDI boot in Java SE.

I just made a small test adding this class to weld-se :

public class WeldSEProvider extends WeldProvider {

    private static boolean firstTime = true;

    @Override
    public CDI<Object> getCDI() {
        if (firstTime) {
            new Weld().initialize();
            firstTime = false;
        }

        return super.getCDI();
    }

}

and replaced the content of META-INF/services/javax.enterprise.inject.spi.CDIProvider by my provider

org.jboss.weld.environment.se.WeldSEProvider

Using this new version of Weld-se in my project Iw as able to boot CDI without implementation classes :

public class Main {

        CDI cdi = CDI.current();
        BeanManager bm = cdi.getBeanManager();

    }

}

Code is available in my weld fork : https://github.com/antoinesd/weld-core/blob/2.2-SE/environments/se/core/src/main/java/org/jboss/weld/environment/se/WeldSEProvider.java <https://github.com/antoinesd/weld-core/blob/2.2-SE/environments/se/core/src/main/java/org/jboss/weld/environment/se/WeldSEProvider.java>

Similar CDIProvider can be written for OWB as well.

I may have missed something, but I think we can figure out something like that to provide SE support in CDI today, even if it’s not as complete as the one we plan to push in CDI 2.0

Antoine